Monday 20 October 2014

The Belbin Questionnaire

This week, we began looking at something called the Belbin Questionnaire. This is a questionnaire which is used to identify strengths and weaknesses in regards to teamwork; the Belbin Team Roles.

Below is a table displaying my results from the questionnaire. The questionnaire had 7 sections, with answers A-H to choose from. In each section, you could select more than one answer, so long as your choices added up to 10 points.

e.g.

  • 5 points to sentence G
  • 3 points to sentence H
  • 2 points to sentence A


Role
Function
Points
Co-Coordinator (CO)
Co-ordinates efforts, social leader
2
Shaper (SH)
Outgoing, dominant, task leader
3
Plant (PL)
Ideas person, creative, intelligent but potentially shy
8
Resource Investigator (RI)
Finds out where to obtain resources – the ‘fixit’ person
5
Monitor Evaluator (ME)
Assesses how valid suggestions are, analytical
7
Implementer (IMP)
Practical organiser
29
Team Worker (TW)
Maintains group needs, supportive
7
Complete Finisher (CF)
Checks details – conscious of task deadlines
9

Here is my summary of the results:

"I believe that for the most part, the result of the Belbin questionnaire was accurate. The highest score appears in the IMP section. I would consider myself to be an Implementer above all other roles. I’m punctual, thorough, and can work on my own initiative. If necessary, I will take on extra work if needs be, to meet or exceed targets. At the same time, I don’t consider myself to be inflexible, which is a prominent weakness in Implementers.

Complete Finisher, the second highest scoring role, is another thing I believe myself to be. It ties in with my aforementioned point about being thorough; being a perfectionist to make certain of the accuracy of work.

Co-ordinator being one of the lowest scoring roles is relatively accurate. I am able to delegate effectively, but it isn’t something that I’ve put into practice a lot, due to it only coming into play later on in my last place of employment.


I also agree with the Shaper role being one of the lowest scoring roles. I don’t see myself as a “whip cracker”, and instead look for the equal team-effort, having everybody involved. That could be perceived as a slight contradiction.

Being an effective communicator, and being able to work with a variety of people, I was surprised to see the Teamwork role scoring in the middle ground. I see teamwork as being one of my strongest qualities, so do not agree with this result."


No comments:

Post a Comment